Sunday, July 1, 2007

Freedom and Sacrifice

My favorite holiday is soon upon us. I just love the 4th of July. And not just because it's What Not To Wear's birthday, but because of what it reminds us of: Freedom.
Freedom isn't free. We've all heard that. We know that. But it doesn't move us. I saw a picture the other day of writing on a whiteboard. This is what it said:
America is not at war
Marines (and this could be translated the Armed Forces) are at war.
America is at the mall.

My stomach sank. I'm not sure if the sickening feeling in my gut has gone away. I'm not sure that I want it to go away. We are a sad people. We live our lives as if freedom hasn't cost anyone...
very much like we can live our Christian walk. I often say out of my mouth that I'm so thankful for the freedom given me through Christ, but then I fill my life with activity. Mindless activity. I crave more than that. I crave more meaning than that...I want to walk out His love outside of the church walls and the normal day to day. I want to model unconditional love to my children. I want to live in freedom recognizing the cost.

Sacrifice is made in either circumstance you look at. Our service men and women sacrifice their time, their family life, their comforts, their lives for my freedom. Their loved ones here sacrifice their lives as well. What a beautiful picture of what Christ has done for me. What an example to follow. Thank you for not only protecting my freedom, but also giving others in Afghanistan an Iraq the hope of freedom as well.


I absolutely love this song. It helps me to remember and appreciate my freedom because of other's sacrifice.

1 comments:

Dareth said...

What a beautiful post!

I definitely lived up to our name listening to that song...I was one crying mom.